Monday, January 21, 2008

Nic's Kalalau Adventure

So for my last Saturday before Heidi returned from Utah to Kauai I decided to jog/hike the Kalalau trail along the Napalli coast. I didn't run once while on our vacation to CA and UT so I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to make it the total 22 miles (11 in, 11 out). I did have a week to prepare so I ran everyday up until the Saturday. I was planning on being on the trail at 7AM but I slept in and made it to the trailhead at about 9:15AM.
At that point I hadn't decided how far I was going to go; I was going to go in a few miles and see how I felt. Well, I made it to the HANAKAPI'AI beach in about 20 minutes which is 2 miles in and I felt great. So I decided to go the next 4 miles to HANAKOA which is the first campground. I still felt pretty good but was a little worried about my water supply but I really wanted to make it to the end.
On the left is a couple of pics of the trail. I did not take a camera myself because I was trying to travel as light as possible. These pictures and the rest I found on google.
On the right is a picture of the cliff portion that everyone talks about around miles 7 & 8. I didn't think it was very scary, but there are a bunch of steep switchbacks at this part which was very tiring on the way back.
After 11 miles in, this is what it looks like at the end, except for the naked hippie I saw which is not in the pictures.
After looking around for about 5 minutes at the end I decided I better start back because I knew it was going to be hard and I was almost out of water.
This was an adventure I don't think I will ever do again. I ran out of water twice but there are tons of streams along the way. Most of the hikers use water purifiers or iodine tablets. When I ran out the first time I stopped at a stream where there was a large group of hikers and asked the first guy if I could borrow his water purifier because I was out of water. He said "No, we're just getting ready to take off." That guy will never when the Good Samaritan award. A girl in that group gave me some iodine tablets which I used. People say they drink the water without and tablets or purifiers but I didn't want to risk it.
A few hours later I made it to the end and called Heidi to tell her I was ok. I then went straight home, ate a quick meal and went to bed at 8pm.

8 comments:

Kat and Steve said...

You're Crazy!!! We went on that hike but we just went 4 miles in to the waterfall and 4 out. Oh, and we didn't see a naked hippy either. Glad you're alive!

tiffy girl said...

Wow! That is quite a saturday event. I am glad you went for it. Another adventure to add to your list. Did you enjoy it? Or was it really tiring?

~Jason and Heidi~ said...

That would be so fun and exciting! Maybe someday when the kids are all grown up. Scary that you did it by yourself. What if...you fell, etc.... Well, I am glad you did it. We sure had fun with you guys. I bet you are glad to have Heidi and Ty back.

~~Heidi~~ said...

You are a crazy man sometimes, But I still love you just the same!! Thanks for the fun trip back home, and we missed you so much, and happy to be back with daddy!

michelle said...

I know that Heid was alittle worried about ya. So we are glad you made it back safe. I hate when Cody goes on the mountian by himself. The view looks amazing. Glad your family is home safe. Love you guys

Grandma Karen said...

All I can say is WOW! You're the man!! When I was 16 my family hiked into Pinto lake in the Uinta's. I thought I was going to die, and that was when I was just a spring chicken!! I'm glad you went because I know you have wanted to, but I am even gladder (is that a word?) that you made it home safe and in one piece. Sorry we had you family so long. We loved every minute they were there. We had so much fun with Ty. Be careful though, he knows magic. Abba-dabbaaaa. You'll have to ask Heidi. Glad everyone is home safe and sound. It is always such a worry.
Love you guys, sorry you HAD to put your shorts on when you got home!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok Heidi....like we've said before, "We did the best we could with what we got"! Nic, we are so glad we didn't know exactly what you were doing on Saturday. Hmmmm, maybe a little more advance planning would be a good idea next time. Good thing you didn't drink the water near that hippie! So....do you want some iodine pills or a purifier?
We love you all very much!

Ana Lee said...

That is absolutely incredible!!! I am pretty sure when Katie and I went out there our very first day on the island after traveling the day before it took us a couple hours just to go to the beach and back, haha. You are amazing.