Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A little late.... but the California portion of our Xmas trip

After Utah with the fam and St. George with friends we went to Nic's fam in California. First up was a surprise (I found out later it wasn't a surprise because he saw my emails) B-day party with a few of Nic's friends. It was a little warmer in CA so we were able to play outside. Shay liked watching Ty ride the little car. She was only tall enough to watch through the railing of the deck. Pretty trees. Nic and Ty on a nature hike through Grammi and Poppy's yard. Its a beautiful place. Another Birthday party for Nic. Nic always has a "Birthweek" instead of a BirthDAY. On New Years Day Nic decided to run a race in Auburn that went up and down the American River Canyon. He wasn't feeling 100% but still decided to do the longest race, a 10-miler. Here's the start, Nic is on the far right in blue. This is the runners running their guts out... I couldn't tell who was who, since every race distance started at the same time. Nic said is was the hardest race he has done in a long time because it was up and down the side of a mountain. Nic was the 1st overall male.....but not 1st overall. Yes, that means he was beat by a girl (or "chicked" as male runners call it). This was a first but she is a professional athlete from Kenya who is training for the marathon in the Olympics and she only won by 3 seconds. Here we are at the Sacramento Airport right before our fun and long trip home. The kids did well on the airplane, it was just the layover that was long and we had to spend the night in Oahu because planes don't fly to our island after 10pm. This was Ty for most of the flight until he finally crashed, tell we got to Oahu. It was a fun vacation. Until next year.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

great pictures! I have done a similar race and it was killer. SO hard. I ran the running leg of a tri and I was beat by a girl who had done the swim and bike before she did the run. It was just the hills that were so tough! Glad I wasn't the only one!

tiffy girl said...

I think you guys had a great vacation. Sorry you got sick and the kids are still sick, but hey at least you can go to the beach:)

Grammi/Poppy said...

We LOVED your visit!

Brady and Karen said...

Someday (if you get fat and out of shape), I will chick you. Good race.

That last picture of Ty is cute.